And when you have had that major family event where you did a lot of cooking, sometimes you can’t help but have leftovers. When you don’t know how to go about your food reheating, you may not do it right, thus making it not as great as it should be.
When you are reheating the crab legs, you aim to maintain the tasty, tender, and delicious crab legs. This is what we want you to have for lunch or breakfast the day after you made a lot of the crabs. Don’t even doubt it, though, because it’s way possible to have the mouthwatering crab legs precisely a day after you made them already.
Use the oven
I like to use the oven because it can reheat the crabs from within out. It’s almost just the same as you cook foods like your cakes, for example. You will make the crab nicely tender but also warm on the inside. This makes it feel as though you just cooked it.
But it’s best if you try to use this methodology to make the crab legs in the oven.
- Start by first preheating the oven to about 350°F.
- Take your thawed crab legs or the frozen ones to the baking tray. If you, therefore, have the frozen crabs, you should use this method to reheat them.
- Next, pour ½ inch water into the baking dish make sure you have the crab legs being just slightly submerged into the water.
- Cover your dish with aluminum foil. This makes it easy to retain the baking tray’s moisture and cook or reheat the crabs through the different parts and quickly.
- Get it back to the oven and set the timer to 25 minutes. Regardless remember to poke some holes in the foil, allowing some steam to pop out then.
- And now it’s ready to delve into. You need to add some of the best spices to your crabs and enjoy every bite of it.
Can I use steaming?
One of the most preferred and safest methods of cooking is steaming. You can quickly reheat your food using this steaming method. It’s further one of the easiest methods to use for the process because you need to boil the water and then insert your crabs in the water.
But you don’t do so direct; instead, you set a colander over the boiling water and cover it. Here you will then have the crabs reheated by the steam.
It doesn’t take long to reheat the crabs; just about 5 minutes is enough to reheat the crabs.
You can boil the crabs afresh.
Another more straightforward method then is to boil the crabs fresh. With this process, you will get the meat inside the leg warm, but it’s also going to be moist.
Take your pan, set the water to a level of 2/3 and add some salt, and then place it on the stovetop to start the heating up.
When the water is ready and thoroughly boiled, you can insert your delicious crab legs in as you fold the crack. So you should make sure that you cover the pot for it to steam and then reheat the meat on the inside.
Let it steam for about 8 minutes before you can remove it. Remember, you don’t want to overheat it too.
When the crab legs are then fully heated, you should then use the tongs to remove them from the pot and onto a plate. To make it even more delicious then, you should add on the butter and the lemon wedges.
How to reheat the crab legs by boiling?
If you want another way to reheat the crab legs, we can use the boiling method. This is another first method that will take just about ten minutes, and you are ready.
- Fill the pot of water up to a two-thirds level, and then remember to add a pinch of salt. You don’t want the crabs to come out tasteless. If you want, then you can add a little vinegar and also the squeezed lemon.
- Bring the water to boil on top of a stovetop. Make sure it’s under high heat and that it’s boiling.
- When it’s boiled, reduce the heat to medium-low before inserting the crab legs in the pot.
- Go on to boil the water for about 4-5 minutes.
- Make sure all the parts of the crab legs are covered in water. You see, you have the tongs that you can use to adjust and set the crab right.
- After you are sure it’s thoroughly heated, you can put the crab back on the draining rack.
- Immediately serve it and use the proper seasoning for it.
How to reheat the crab with the microwave?
Of course, we will have to talk about the master of reheating food in the microwave. And contrary to most other foods that you can’t reheat in the microwave, this you can. When you use the microwave, you will realize just how simple the process is. Even though it’s not the best method, it does work.
- First, remember most microwaves aren’t that large to hold all the crab legs. You can place it in groups of three. But if you know it won’t fit right, then you can remove the claws.
- So the first thing is to get a paper towel and make it damp. Then wrap the crab legs. Remember, the microwave heats your food with the help of circulating water.
- You will have to wrap each of the crab legs with a damp towel. Don’t worry if you have to cook it in three or four parts; you aim to make sure it’s fully warmed.
- Also, check it properly to know that its parts are correctly sealed.
- Set in the microwave and then set the timer to 2 minutes.
- Get your tongs and use them to remove the crab legs from the oven to check whether it’s thoroughly heated.
- Unwrap the legs, and then serve with your favorite sauce. You will have it being steaming hot but also delicious.
How to reheat using the grilling method
Sometimes you can use the grilling method to reheat the crabs.
- In this case, then you’ll have to reheat it in aluminum foil paper. Wrap the crabs in aluminum foil, making sure all parts are covered. Check out that it does not have any pointed edges. Double up the aluminum foil if you need to.
- Here you don’t want to grill it under direct heat, but then you should give it about 15 minutes to fully heat its parts.
- To finish the process, move it over the heat on each side to give it time to heat up.
You can use a second method, though, to reheat it over the grill grates.
- Place the legs directly over the grill grates.
- You will have the thinner tips so place them away from the heat, though.
- Allow it to sit on the grill grates for about 5-8 minutes.
- It’s ready, so then serve it on the plate and eat with your favorite sauce.
If you have the larger crabs, you will need to add some more time, while if it’s smaller, you can reduce the time it takes to heat up. Of course, this will take practice to understand how much time you need.
Things you should know
They don’t necessarily need to be heated.
I’m not one to eat cold food, but maybe you will enjoy this one too if you enjoy some cold pizza.
If you had frozen the crabs, the only thing you will need to do is to thaw it or get it out of the fridge and serve it with the melted butter.
If you don’t want to do it, you can mix it in different other foods. Some people like to add it to the cocktail or even the crab cake too.
Regardless of whether you like it hot, it’s okay; you can still make it hot, and as you are heating it, you need to remember that you shouldn’t overcook the crab as you don’t want to damage it. If you then overheat it, you can expect to damage its texture. You always want to serve it being juicy but also tender.
When reheating, you don‘t need direct heat. Use moist heat
Remember, we are avoiding overheating, which is why I say use moist heat.
The good thing then is that it will even work on your crab legs and craws too. This is why I always prefer the steaming method, but then you can use the oven heat and the boiling method. Just make sure you are checking it out that it won’t start to burn.
It would help if you always considered food safety too
I don’t know how you like the crab and whether you like it cold or warm, you will need to factor in the food safety rules. This is the only thing that will determine whether the food remains safe to use or not.
One of the simplest rules to then remember is that you should eat the crabs within two days or three to set them in the fridge. However, if you want it to last even longer, you should keep it in the freezer. Notice then that you can cook the crabs for nine to twelve months.
Also, remember when you have warmed the crab, you should be ready to eat it. You don’t want to set the crabs on the plate and go about your day, leaving it at room temperature again. If you do so, then you’re inviting bacteria. When your food is at a temperature of between 40-140°F, it could easily cause bacteria’s growth.
The best way to reheat the crab in its shell
If you like to eat the crabs as I do, then the chances are that you will want to store it as it is and then warm it in the crab shell. But do you know how to do it? Of course, there are already several methods we have discussed above on how to reheat the crabs.
I will therefore say the best method when the crabs are still in their shell to use in the reheating then is to use the steaming method. Follow it as we had discussed. It will allow the moisture to reach the crab’s inner parts, which makes the meat as well.
Can I reheat the deshelled crabs?
Of course, you can reheat it and quickly since that means you are only reheating the meat. We have discussed the best methods already. But you can steam it, boil it oven, bake it, and the list goes on and on.
How to Store Crab Legs?
For you to go on and reheat the crab legs, you will need to store them. But just like many other foodstuffs, you will need to store the leftover crab legs. Make sure you store it within 2 hours of being at room temperature.
This is why you should have your family eat it fast and the remains then you should keep in the fridge. If you then store it after two hours, then you may cause food poisoning.
Store it in the fridge
The first method of storage you should think of is the fridge. So you should find an air-tight container and set it in and go on to set it in the fridge. Alternatively, you want to use the zip lock bag for the same. If you then store it right, then you will have the cooked crabs last for between 3-5 days in the freezer.
Here, you will be sure it contains the fresh crab that doesn’t attain the fridge smell you sometimes develop.
Store it in a freezer
Another method to use in the storage is the freezer, especially if you want to store it over a long time. Wrap it in the aluminum foil, making sure no ends are popping. Once it’s safely covered, then you need to set it in the freezer Ziploc bag. But before you lock it, make sure you get rid of excess air.
Just don’t leave it there for way too long; remember to use it within 2-3 months. If it’s uncooked, then you can have it for up to 9-12 months, though.
How do I know when the crab is gone wrong?
Of course, the first thing you will tell is the smell. It will indicate to you that the crabs or any fish style is gone wrong. It will first off develop the foul smell.
You will have the flavor of the fish also tasting off. I mean, the moment you set the crab meat in your mouth, you will know.
Check the meat because it will start to turn yellow or green. Sometimes it’ll even turn black or grey.
The other indication is on the texture. If you notice that it looks slimy in texture, then know that your meat is already for the bins.
So for how long will the crabs last in the fridge?
As we already mentioned, you will need to keep the crabs in the fridge or the freezer. But your leftover is only safe in the microwave if you use them within 2-4 days. However, if you would like to store it for longer, you should store it in the freezer.
Other methods to use in the cooking of the crabs
We aren’t disputing the fact that everyone enjoys the crabs on their own. You will make it even better if you find ways to include it in other meals and thus still enjoy the freshness and the tastes.
So you can use it to make the following too, and you will still have a great meal.
These are pretty popular when you are eating at high-end weddings. But you don’t have to wait for weddings for you to enjoy these crab cakes.
Cooking is about experimenting, and luckily, the online platform is full of ideas on different meals available to cook. Just go out and learn how to make it with the help of the videos online too. You will somehow, over time, perfect as long as you are open to trying it.
I like the rolls because it’s the easiest method you can use to eat different veggies and meats.
The best part is that you will eat it with the favorite spice addition that you would like to have. My go-to is the mayo, mustard, and sometimes even the butter.
When you want to have an addition of the better tastes, then you should add these twists. So then you can use it with the crab roll. You can also add on the cheese and the broil too. Most people like this meal, and you can use it with your leftover crab meat.
Another one of the easiest methods to use in eating crabs is to make a salad out of it. Of course, you can blend it with a few veggies and then remember to add on some vinaigrette or mayo.
Crab pasta and rice dishes
Just because pasta is one of the most common meals in the market. If you want, then you can include it in the pasta or rice meals too.
While you may think how is this even possible yet it’s possible. If you want, you can add the tasty stocks to the soup, and you will have a full meal already.