What is a burrito?
Burritos are one of my favorite dishes. They are super delicious and undeniably irresistible. This dish originates from the central parts of Mexico, and it’s also very popular in Texas, U.S.
It is made of a flour tortilla usually wrapped and sealed in a cylinder-like shape and filled with a wide range of ingredients. The ingredients used are based on what you love, and they vary from meat, vegetables.
This dish is often all-round, which means you get to eat at any given time. The flavors are also broad, which gives room for everyone to enjoy, whether you are vegetarian or non-vegetarian.
One fact is though, is that they are best served warm and not cold. So, have you ever wondered if you can reheat your leftover burrito without making it soggy? Well, there are several ways from which you can reheat this delicious meal.
However, it is not a simple task since the ingredients are usually wrapped in a cylinder tortilla. So, reheating this dish may not be straightforward, but when done correctly, it is possible.
What are the best possible ways to reheat your leftover burrito?
How to reheat the burrito?
Reheating burrito using a microwave
Most foods reheat well when it’s done using a microwave, and so a burrito. A microwave is an essential appliance in the kitchen, and when used in reheating a burrito, it does work without causing any severe damages to the dish.
Certainly, you will not get the optimum temperature required, but if you are short on time and need a quick dish, then a microwave will serve you best. The disadvantage is that the tortilla may get soggy, and this because the microwave usually heats the moisture inside the tortilla.
Here’s the procedure on how to reheat a burrito in a microwave?
- If the burrito was in the fridge, remove it, take the foil paper off, and put the burrito on a microwave-safe plate.
- Sprinkle water on the top and mainly on the tortilla. This process will ensure that the burrito retains its soft texture on the inside parts. You can also decide to cover the burrito with a damp towel instead of sprinkling water on it.
- Set the timer to 60 seconds and let the burrito microwave. Leave it inside the microwave for another 45 seconds such that the heat can be spread evenly.
- After that, flip it and sprinkle water on the remaining side, then heat it for another 60 seconds,
- take it out of the microwave and check its temperature using a meat thermometer. It should be at least 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
This method is the fastest you can ever use, but the outcome is not that perfect. The ingredients used in making the burritos have different water content. This means that some parts may be extremely hot while other parts are lukewarm.
Reheating burrito using an oven
Many burritos enthusiasts will tell you that an oven is the best appliance you can use to reheat your burrito. A conventional oven ensures that your burrito doesn’t get soggy, and the tortilla remains perfect.
So, if you want your burrito crispy with a retained flavor, then a conventional oven is the best. Here is how to use an oven when reheating your burrito;
- you need to preheat your oven to between 225 degrees and 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- If the burrito was refrigerated, take it out and cover it using aluminum foil. Don’t wrap it tightly. When wrapped loosely, the steam will easily escape, which means your tortilla won’t get mushy.
- Bake the burrito for about 20-30 minutes or until the burrito is heated all through.
- Take the burrito out of the oven using oven gloves and check if it’s thoroughly heated.
- Insert an internal thermometer to check its heat. If it has reached 165 degrees, then it is ready to be consumed.
The best way to attain a crispy burrito is to heat them after they have defrosted, and that should be after 20 minutes should the burrito be frozen. The best part about using an oven is that the heat is evenly distributed within the burrito.
Reheating burrito on a stovetop
A stovetop, too, works well when reheating your burrito should you find an oven and microwave to be cumbersome. Heating it over a stovetop guarantees you a crisp and delicious burrito.
The result of using a stovetop when reheating your leftover burritos is usually similar to the one you ordered from your go-to restaurant. Here is how to reheat your burrito using a stovetop;
- Preheat your cast-iron skillet for about 2-3 minutes, then add a teaspoon of your favorite cooking oil to the skillet.
- Remove the wrap from the burrito, then place it into the skillet.
- Slightly press the burrito in the skillet using a spatula such that you can easily cover it.
- After that, cover the burrito with a lid for the heat to be distributed evenly within the skillet. Leave it for 4 minutes.
- Flip the burrito on the remaining side, cover it with a lid again and bake for another 4 minutes.
Reheating burrito on a grill.
This method of reheating food requires a little patience. Therefore, if you lack the patience virtue like me, you shouldn’t try using this method. On the other hand, if you are one person who loves outdoor cooking, you can definitely do this.
Many people find grilling to be time-wasting because it takes pretty much of your time. Nevertheless, it is an option when you want to reheat your burrito. If your stomach is growling, you should probably find other alternatives to reheating your burritos.
When it comes to grilling your burritos, indirect grilling is the best decision. So, how do you heat your burritos using a grill?
- On the grill, you need to light up only one side, then place your burrito on the opposite side that has not been lit.
- The burrito wrap should last on the unlit side for about 30 minutes.
- Then transfer the slightly grilled burrito to the grill’s lit side, primarily for the burritos to get grilling marks.
- After grilling for a few minutes, check the temperature of the burrito using a meat thermometer and make sure it has reached 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- If the temperature is attained, the burrito is ready to be served and enjoyed.
Using a grill to reheat your burrito adds a smoky flavor to this dish, making it tastier than before. You can also use butter to dress your burritos instead of using aluminum foil. The tortilla will fry, adding a diverse new flavor to the burritos.
Is it possible to reheat a burrito with sour cream?
Sour cream on top of your burrito makes it have a more robust flavor that initially it didn’t have. However, when you want to reheat it, the challenge comes in as it may get soggy and messy.
So, when it comes to reheating sour cream burritos, you need to be very keen and patient. Generally, there are two ways on how you can go about reheating burritos with a cream filling.
The first method is to remove the cream by scooping it off the burritos then adding them later, or you can reheat the burrito together with the sour cream all at once.
So how do you reheat burritos with sour cream? This method involves the use of a conventional oven.
- The first step is to preheat your oven to 225 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove the burrito from the fridge and cover it loosely with an aluminum foil such that the steam is allowed to escape and the burrito doesn’t get soggy.
- After that, place the burrito in the oven for 30 minutes
- Using your oven gloves, take the burritos off the oven once it has been thoroughly heated. Use a meat thermometer to check if the internal temperature of the burrito’s ingredients.
- If the temperature attained has reached 165 degrees Fahrenheit, unwrap the burrito and add your sour cream on top of it. Then enjoy.
Can you reheat a burrito with guacamole?
The answer is definitely a yes. Most traditional Mexican dishes are usually served with guacamole, and the best thing is that guacamole is always served hot. Well, identical to a burrito with sour cream, here too the options are two;
- Removing the guacamole from the burrito, then adding them once you have finished heating the burrito using whatever method you want, whether microwaving, grilling, or using an oven.
- Or you can reheat the burrito with the guacamole inside it.
Both methods will bring out the best in this recipe, and it all comes down to what you prefer. Many people love reheating the burrito with guacamole in them. After that, they do top it off with fresh guacamole again.
How do you reheat taco bell burritos?
There is nothing better than making your burritos at home. You can easily add the flavors you want and take out what you don’t need.
Well, you might be good at making this recipe, but ordering take-outs from your favorite restaurant will do you no harm, especially when you have busy schedules.
The problem is that before you reach home, the tacos would have gone cold, which means you need to reheat them before enjoying them. Well, then here is how you can reheat taco bell burritos;
Reheating taco bell burritos using an oven
- Preheat the oven to about 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Leave the burrito wrapped in the aluminum foil, then transfer it to the oven. All the fillings will be heated entirely with the foil intact.
- Let the taco burrito bake for 15 minutes.
- The taco burrito is ready to eat once all the fillings are hot and thoroughly heated.
Reheating using a toaster oven,
- you need to preheat your toaster to about 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Then unwrap the aluminum foil such that only the tortilla is loosely covered. Keeping the foil intact allows all the fillings to heat up.
- Transfer the taco burrito to the oven. The exposed side should be the one facing up. Then bake it for 8 to 15 minutes.
- You can eat the burrito once all the fillings are thoroughly heated.
The best thing about the taco bell burritos is that you can swap the fillings and put your own. Their versatility means any ingredient can fit in them. Several outlets and restaurants also serve this dish with different fillings according to your preference.
Remember to remove the fillings when reheating the burritos; if you prefer your fillings cold, then return them after you have completed reheating. In this case, only the tortilla is heated.
How do you reheat chipotle burrito?
One distinctive feature of the chipotle burrito is that fresh ingredients are the primary ingredients used to make it. Chipotle is a red jalapeno pepper, and it usually is smoked. You can get it either as powder or sauce.
The chipotle grill is popularly known for making this recipe. The ingredients are usually chicken, beef, salsa, or beans. This recipe is usually very huge, and finishing it in one sitting may sometimes be impossible.
So, instead of throwing away the leftovers, you can wrap them up and reheat them for your next meal. You can reheat the chipotle burrito using two methods;
Reheating chipotle burritos using an oven
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Unfold your burrito, then place it in aluminum foil. Remember to put the fillings facing upwards.
- Let the burrito bake for about 15-20 minutes. Ensure the fillings are facing upwards; by this, the fillings are heated all the way up.
- Once the fillings are warm enough, you are good to enjoy it.
Reheating burritos using a toaster oven
- For the toaster oven, you need to preheat it to 400 degrees
- Lay the unwrapped burrito in aluminum foil with the fillings facing upwards. Cover the fillings with aluminum foil loosely, and this is to prevent them from burning.
- Transfer the burrito to the oven and let it bake for about 8-12 minutes.
- Once the fillings are heated, you can enjoy your snack.
How long can leftover burritos be kept?
Like any other food stored in the refrigerator, it loses its authenticity and flavor after staying in the freezer for three days.
Well, if your burrito has stayed in the freezer for more than three days, it is essential that you check for mold and how it smells before you reheat it. If there is a foul smell, the best will be to take it to the trash bin.
Reheating your leftover burritos can be done in several different ways. You can either grill, microwave, or bake in an oven.
You only need to have a little knowledge of how to operate the appliances when reheating the burritos. You need to know the correct time setting because when left in the appliance for long, it becomes dry.