When you are looking for a sweet dessert that’s loved the world over, you should consider fried milk.
I enjoy its delicate nutmeg flavor but besides the flavor it and easy to make a choice. Although most people will say it’s unhealthy, this is one of the options that your entire family will enjoy.
Here we have the meal that has a crispy exterior and a smooth interior. It also has custard flavor and tastes on the inside.
Fried milk is one of the best desserts that you’ll make when you cook the flour, milk, and sugar until it thickens up.
This is then what they will portion, and then they fry with some bread crumbs coating. You can eat it as it is or add on some sugar glaze to amplify it.
The image, in this case, is the perfect description of how the fried milk looks. It has a golden brown crispy exterior and a smooth whitish interior that will even melt in your mouth.
This one you can also serve alongside some fruits to make it a full dessert meal. So the holidays are almost here, consider making this treat for your kids to enjoy.
There’s no clear description as to where this fried milk is from. We say it’s from Cantonese cuisine. The only difference is that the traditional one never had the bread crumbs coating.
Other books say it’s from Spain. It’s one of the easiest desserts to make from Spain. It’s pretty popular in Spain, and you will find it in the shops and restaurants alike.
They make it into a delicious, sweet, firm, and cold milk pudding. The outer casing is everything for this milk dessert.
The fried milk then is easy to make, but you will need some time to refrigerate it. This helps in the hardening process for easy deep frying.
You can eat it from the fridge, hot or at room temperature you decide how you like it.
So well, we don’t have to argue so much about the origin; after all, we all love it. Whether you are taking it from China, Italy, or Spain doesn’t matter; you will like the flavors.
You should know that this is one of the best street foods in the world. It comes in different variations based on where you are eating it from.
Expect to find it as a stipulated dessert too in the restaurants. It’s the same but also different from different places.
Just within China, you will have it being different varieties for example;
The chow lai in Guangdong (southern China): Here, they have a mix of chicken, liver, shrimp of Chinese ham stir-fried and then mixed with custardy milk or egg whites.
Of course, this is ideal for you if you want it to be extra special. Well, I like the northern style of regular fried milk.
The northern China version features the delicious but crispy treat that has a milky pudding-like center.
In most cases, you will have it served on a savory meal plate, especially for the kids. Well, if you are an adult and you like this, then that makes two of us.
When you are talking about one meal you will enjoy regardless of where you are, this is.
How to make it
- 250 g milk
- 30 g corn starch
- 25 g fine sugar,
- An appropriate amount of low-gluten flour
- 1 egg
- An appropriate amount of bread crumbs
- An appropriate amount of edible oil
- The first thing to do is to put the milk, corn starch, and granulated sugar in a small pot and mix well. You will always mix them to make the homemade pudding when it then starts to thicken quickly. You want it to thicken to the extent you can easily cut it.
- Heat up on a small fire, stirring continuously during the period. Here you want to bring it to a boil, and this should happen within a minute. Just be patient and yet gentle through the process.
Clearly, we have said there are different recipes you will have in this meal, and therefore it may vary in flavors a little, but it makes all the perfect flavors.
Go on to set them in a paper towel to drain off the excess oil. When you do, then this will keep it retaining the crispy texture. The best thing is that you can serve it as it is and have people enjoy it.
However, if you want more with it, then you can add powdered sugar to make it even sweeter and serve as a final course to your meal.
To most people, this one looks more like the hot doughnut or the funnel cake. The only difference then is that it’s a little creamier than the doughnut. No wonder you eat it as a dessert.
In the end, when you look at it, then you will notice that the name is exotic. But most of the versions you then see here are exotic.
You will sometimes find that they make some form of milk.
You will, in fact, find that they sometimes even add some ginger into the fried milk. When they then finally make the custard, they will then bread the fried milk.
So, of course, you’ll have the base of milk. So it will attain the custard-like interior that’s mostly like the mousse. So it will attain a velvet-like texture.
I like to say that everyone loves fries and they also like milk. The best way to use it then is to make the fried milk, though.
Just know that you can make it as spicy as you would like to.
- In addition to the original flavor, you can also add an appropriate amount of matcha powder or cocoa powder to alter the taste. You will make it better when you use fried milk.
- The cold-cut milk cake can be eaten directly. Some people like to eat cold-cut fried milk. If you want to make it even better, you should also add coconut wrap. This will make it perfectly crispy but also lovely to use.
- When frying, be sure to use a low fire, and the oil temperature should not be too high. Remember, we don’t want it to melt the curd. Otherwise, the milk cake will be mushy as soon as it is put in.
- This dessert is better served immediately after you fry it. So what you should then do is to serve it immediately after you cook it. The best thing to do is to make the custard in advance, refrigerate it, and wait to use it when ready.
- If you have bread and don’t have the bread crumbs done, worry you can make the bread crumbs yourself. You don’t need to dry it in the oven and then set it in the food processer to dry.
- Don’t make too much at one time; the freshly fried crust will be crispy.
You will enjoy this recipe but always remember this is not your leading food. So it would help if you ate it sparingly.